Who is Chinook?
Chinook works with key building stakeholders to make their facilities secure, compliant, and efficient. We assess, quantify, and prioritize their needs, and systematically implement change to optimize operations. Our work results in better building performance, ease of maintenance, and reduced energy use and utility costs to realize cost savings in both new and existing facilities. We ensure systems and equipment are designed, constructed, and operating in accordance with the owner’s project requirements, and maintain compliance with codes, standards, regulations, and industry best practices. We lower operational risk exposure and implement proactive cybersecurity measures to protect Operational Technology and reduce a client’s threat landscape.
Looking for challenging and rewarding work alongside some of the best in the business? Energized by finding new solutions and technologies that benefit your clients, improve efficiency, and make buildings and the environment better? Eager to work in a setting where you can make a difference, be involved with some of the most mission-critical facilities, and see your contributions make a difference? Do you thrive in an environment where initiative is rewarded with opportunity? Do you seek work variety paired with job location stability? Looking for a hybrid-style work environment? If your answer to these questions was a “Yes” then Chinook may be the right fit for you.
We are currently seeking an experienced Electrical Engineer for our government-focused team. This role is primarily focused on performing code enforcement reviews and inspections. The ideal candidate is adept at interpreting and enforcing applicable construction codes, standards, and regulations for government construction projects. If you have a strong background in Electrical engineering, with a particular focus on power generators, uninterruptible power supplies, life safety/emergency/mission critical power distribution, electric vehicle (EV) infrastructure, and other electrical equipment and system, we want to hear from you.
In addition, the Electrical Engineer will serve as a technical authority for Chinook. As a registered Professional Engineer this individual will lead facility engineering projects throughout the facility planning, design, construction, warranty, and operations lifecycle. The Electrical Engineer will exercise considerable latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignments and supervises, coordinate, provide leadership to, and review the work of assigned staff. Chinook has built a reputation for excellence in our industry and the Electrical Engineer will uphold that tradition by being diligent, proactive, solutions-oriented, and a facilitator of success for team members, both internal and external. This position offers a career path to a Lead Engineering or Project Management position within the organization. Moreover, it is an exciting opportunity to make an impact in the growing markets of sustainability, resiliency, and cybersecurity with mission-critical facilities.
- Perform code enforcement design and construction reviews to evaluate whether the construction documents have met the requirements of the Electrical applicable codes and standards for the evaluated projects.
- Perform surveys of existing areas and facilities, conduct design reviews, conduct code compliance inspections, witness code required testing, assist in code development and implementation, and execute small systems designs.
- Perform electrical code compliance inspections of all projects for which a permit has been issued to ensure conformance with the approved design and the applicable codes and standards.
- Review and provide comments on designs for configuration, sustainability, reliability, redundancy.
- Review equipment and controls technology selections and strategies.
- Review and provide comments on equipment submittals, test reports, and manuals.
- Review and evaluate electrical designs and installations to ensure they meet the necessary codes and standards.
- Act as a subject matter expert on all aspects of electrical design, construction, and operation for power generators and related infrastructure.
- Provide quality assurance through audits and inspections to ensure compliance with client criteria, codes, standards, and policies and procedures.
- Work with senior leadership to grow our Electrical practice.
- Oversee any assigned staff. Be responsible for the application of company policies.
- Interpret, explain, and enforce provisions of the construction codes, standards, and regulations to clients, contractors, architects, and engineers.
- Provide technical guidance and liaise with government departments, construction teams, architects, and engineers to ensure building projects comply with the necessary codes.
- Address complaints, violations, and disputes regarding construction projects and code compliance.
- Prepare reports on code enforcement activities, ensuring transparency and accountability. Maintain accurate records of code violations and actions taken.
- Stay up to date with the latest changes in building codes, construction techniques, and government regulations.
- Coordinate with various stakeholders to ensure effective and efficient project execution.
- Participate in meetings as required.
- Bachelor’s degree from an ABET-accredited college or university in electrical engineering or a related field is required.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of experience conducting reviews of design and construction documentation for electrical systems.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of experience with the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 70, National Electric Code.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience with the Unified Facilities Criteria (UFC).
- Possession of a Professional Engineer (PE) license is a plus.
- Detailed knowledge of federal building codes, construction practices, and safety standards.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interpret and explain complex information.
- Proficient in the use of technology, including construction project management software and mobile devices.
- Ability to handle stressful situations, multi-task, and meet tight deadlines.
- Valid driver's license and ability to travel to various construction sites.
- The job requires physical stamina for extensive walking, standing, and climbing during site inspections. Must also be able to work in all types of weather conditions.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently as well as part of a team while providing multi‐discipline coordination.
- Must possess an in-depth knowledge of federal building codes / standards / guidelines, construction practices, and safety standards (e.g., ANSI, ICC, IEEE, NEMA, NESC, NFPA/NEC, UFC / UFGS, UL).
- Must be a creative, innovative, and solutions-oriented thinker with the ability to understand and achieve goals and anticipate client needs.
- Must have a record of accomplishment of client satisfaction in mission-critical facilities and a passion for analyzing, troubleshooting, optimizing, and upgrading integrated systems in aging facilities and campus environments.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- Professional development and growth opportunities.
- An inclusive and supportive working environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Chinook Systems Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Chinook is committed to providing veteran employment opportunities to our service men and women.
Other Employment Statements:
Applicants for employment must be US citizens and be able to pass security screens, up to the Secret level, due to the nature of who we work for.
Applicants must be able to work up to a full day on various active construction project sites. Applicants must be able to stand, walk, climb ladders, ascend/descend stairs, and get to wherever the problem is so you can see it for yourself.
Please note that all duties and requirements are subject to change in accordance with the needs of the organization.